Who we are:
Healthier Colorado is a non-partisan non-profit organization dedicated to elevating the voices of Coloradans in the public policy process to improve the health of our state’s residents. Our three focus areas are to:
- Reduce obesity and related chronic disease
- Improve mental and behavioral health
- Address population-level health disparities
About the position:
We’re looking for a creative revolutionary to join us in building a new movement for health. This person thrives in a laboratory of ideas alongside others, is committed to soberly measuring results, and embraces opportunities to learn from both success and failures. This to-be-identified Senior Director of Communications will lead the public communications portfolio within our mission to influence public policy as a means to give everybody the opportunity to be healthy in Colorado and beyond. If this is you (and you meet the listed qualifications), then you should apply.
The Senior Director of Communications is responsible for leading the external communication strategy for Healthier Colorado and its associated brands and projects. This position’s duties include:
- Strategically managing the organizations’ brands, with a focus on crafting brand perception with targeted audiences to advance the political goals of the organization. This includes providing quality assurance for all brand collateral and being the final set of eyes on all external communications.
- Generating and executing communication ideas that garner the attention of intended audiences, galvanizes and grows our constituency and moves political decision-makers.
- Developing relationships with reporters in Colorado media markets as well as other relevant national outlets.
- Leading our online engagement efforts to cultivate donors and activists, and collaborating with other staff to integrate these online efforts with the field, political engagement, and development departments.
- Spearheading earned and paid media strategy and managing corresponding vendor contracts.
- Working with the Executive Director in our efforts to export the perspective and capacity type of Healthier Colorado across the country.
- Supervising and fostering the professional development of at least two communications team members.
While this position has some flexibility in the experience level required, the ideal candidate possesses the following minimum qualifications:
- Demonstrated success in developing online activists and donors on behalf of a campaign or institution.
- At least 7 years of experience in community organizing, electoral, legislative or other advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated success in campaign and/or project management and execution.
- Experience managing staff and/or contractors; experience in developing nascent talent a distinct plus.
- Experience building relationships with reporters and executing earned media campaigns.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience in health policy is a plus, but not required.
The Senior Director of Communications will report to the Deputy Executive Director. The salary is competitive and the exact level will be adjusted to skills and experience. Compensation includes health insurance and retirement benefits. Healthier Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate. We celebrate diversity of all sorts and enthusiastically encourage all qualified persons to apply.
Please send a resume and a brief cover letter describing your interest in the position to Hillary Jorgensen at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. The position will remain open until filled.